Advantages of Zirconia Crowns
A dental crown is an ideal solution that might be recommended by your dentist if you have a tooth that is wearing down, chipped, or cracked. Dental crowns are also used with the placement of dental implants when used to replace missing or decayed teeth. They are also used as supporting anchors for either dental bridges or partial dentures. Dental crowns have historically been made of porcelain or gold. Porcelain crowns have given a more natural looking restoration but are more prone to chipping. Gold crowns will not look natural and can also produce negative allergic reactions.
Dental crowns can also be made of zirconium. Zirconium crowns deliver a terrific, natural look and do not have any uncomfortable side effects.
What is Zirconium?
Zirconium is a strong type of crystalized mineral that has a quite a few favorable qualities. The crystalized mineral is known for being indestructible and long-lasting. Zirconia is just that. Besides its durability and strength, zirconia is also compatible with the human body, increasing its popularity in the medical field.
The Primary Advantages and Benefits of Zirconia Crowns
The major benefits and advantages of zirconium include:
- Durability- Fabricated of crystal, zirconium is almost unbreakable, withstanding the most vigorous chewing and biting forces. Zirconium is five times stronger than porcelain. Zirconium crowns are also milled such that they are nearly indestructible. They are also resistant to both extreme hot and cold temperatures, which then lowers the frequency of tooth hypersensitivity that can be common with other crown materials.
- Tastefully pleasing- Zirconium crowns are also translucent being made from crystal. The translucent aesthetics of zirconium allows for the perfect tooth coloring that will best match your natural tooth color, exceeding porcelain crowns. No metal is necessary. Unlike porcelain or gold crowns, zirconium crowns do not need to be fused with a metal base which make traditional crowns more identifiable.
- Easy to Work With- Zirconium crowns can be easily modified, colored, and shaped. In addition to their strong structure, zirconium crowns can be easily sized, shaped, and colored to match your natural teeth. It is even considered that the malleable nature of zirconium crowns can produce crowns that are shaped better than the natural original it is replacing. The ability to create the perfect crown produces a much more natural and better look for you.
- Biocompatibility- Your body will not reject the zirconium, so there is a lower chance of any complications, infections, pain, discomfort, or allergic reactions.
- Cover Tooth Damage- Zirconium is now preferred over porcelain in covering and hiding any tooth damage caused by staining or fractures.
- Life Expectancy- Due to the dramatic durability, zirconium crowns will also last longer than porcelain crowns. This is because the zirconium is more resistant to chipping or cracking.
- Less Prep Work- Less of the tooth structure needs to be removed. Typically, when a crown is placed, a layer of the original tooth must be removed for the crown to fit properly over it. The strength of zirconium means that the final crown is actually thinner. A thinner crown means less of the original tooth will need to be removed. Zirconium crowns will give you the appearance of natural teeth, comfort, feel, durability, and security.