Mini Dental Implants
There are a number of different types of dental implant systems for patients missing one or multiple teeth. The dental implant process has historically been an extensive one that has required months of treatment and several different stages to complete. Although this traditional approach to replacing lost teeth is an effective one, there may be alternative approaches better suited to your needs.
If you have a missing tooth or teeth and would rather avoid the extensive process of having a dental implant placed, or if you have been told that you are not a viable candidate for traditional dental implants, mini dental implants may be the right treatment option for you.
As the name implies, mini dental implants are much smaller than traditional implants (average diameter of mini implants is 1.8-3.33 and 10-15 mm in length) and can often be placed in just one visit.
The procedure will begin with administration of a local anesthetic. Following this, the implants are positioned and placed into your jawbone using a precise and suture-free surgical technique. Following placement of the implant, your periodontist will evaluate your bite to ensure the implant and crown are correctly positioned and make any necessary adjustments. Following this, your mini dental implant procedure will be complete.
Mini Dental Implants Benefits
Benefits that are unique to mini dental implants include:
- Less invasive/less painful: Because the implant is so much smaller, the procedure is less invasive and will cause less discomfort. This also ensures that your recovery time will be much faster.
- Faster results: Whereas traditional implants can take several months to complete and require multiple appointments, mini dental implants provide results much faster, and can sometimes be completed in just one visit.
- Cost affordable: The cost of mini dental implants is typically much less compared to traditional dental implants.
Improves your oral health: Aside from restoring you back to having a full smile, one of the most important benefits that comes about from having a mini dental implant placed is that doing so will help prevent your jawbone from atrophying, which will begin to occur over time when a tooth is missing. By avoiding jawbone atrophy, you will preserve the aesthetic appearance of your face and smile and reduce your risk of developing other oral health issues.
- Restores functionality: Although they do not provide as strong of support as traditional dental implants, mini dental implants will improve your overall functionality and allow you to enjoy many of the foods you once did, which in turn will improve your overall nutrition and physical health.
- More self-confidence: A full smile can dramatically improve a person’s self-confidence, which can have a positive impact in all other areas of their life.
Due to the minimally invasive nature of the procedure, reduced number of visits required, and cost effectiveness, mini dental implants are a very popular treatment option. If you are missing one or more of your teeth and have been avoiding pursuing treatment out of concern for the cost or time involved, or because you are uncertain whether or not you are a viable candidate, contact your periodontist to schedule an evaluation to see if mini dental implants are right for you.